How Can I Test My Fertility at Home?
August 21, 2020 | Yesmom
When it comes to checking your fertility, it’s normal to think you need to go to a clinic. But as it turns out, you can now get your fertility tested from home- and not just with the same accuracy as going to your doctor, but at a fraction of the price too.
So far, the go-to option to check your fertility is a hormone test. Checking numerous fertility hormones at once, it gives you a clear picture of how your body is working- and what you can do to improve your chances of getting pregnant. Hormone testing is, therefore, the most reliable way to understand your fertility.
As this kind of test traditionally requires drawing multiple vials of blood, it is usually only carried out in clinics. At Yesmom, though, we found a way for you to measure the same hormones from the comfort of your own home with the same accuracy as tests taken with your doctor. And the best thing? We measure everything with a quick and painless finger prick- just once!
Simply order the Yesmom testing kit from our site, and a courier will deliver it to your door. To take your sample, you just need to clean one of your fingers and, using the small lancet from the kit, lightly press down on your finger to make the prick. A small droplet of blood will then appear that you can then collect with the small tube also in our kit. You then simply seal the tube in the provided secure bag and let us know when our courier should pick it up.
Once collected, your sample is immediately sent to one of our labs, for our technicians to carefully analyze. Our board of licensed OBGYN then validates your results.
Within a few days, we send you a personalized and easy-to-read assessment of your fertility health, all accessible on your personal dashboard! Should you need any help talking about your results with your doctor, we also provide a free discussion guide to help you understand your fertility options.
What Else Can Hormone Testing Tell You?
Testing your hormones in this way doesn’t just tell you about your fertility. It’s also a great indicator of your general health.
“Hormone testing is a great way to keep track of your overall health. Getting tested regularly allows you to catch health problems early on- making treatment both easier and cheaper,” says Dr. Olarik Musikwong, from the Royal Thai College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
From analyzing your levels of up to 8 hormones, our personalized health reports also tell you everything you need to know about six crucial health aspects:
- General Health: The hormones in your body don’t work alone- they work together to keep everything from your emotions to your organs in good shape. By looking at how they interact, we can see whether you have conditions like overactive or underactive thyroid, which may impact your fertility and other aspects of your health.
- IVF and Egg Freezing: Young women not quite ready to have a baby may choose to have their eggs frozen for the future. Hormone testing is crucial for knowing your chances of success with procedures like IVF and egg freezing.
- Menopause: As women get older, they stop being fertile and produce less of certain hormones. By measuring your AMH, FSH, and E2 levels, we can estimate a timeline for when you will enter menopause. Low levels of these hormones may also indicate premature menopause in younger women.
- Ovarian reserve: This is how many eggs you have left, and is a good indicator of your chances of getting pregnant, and when you will enter menopause. We assess this by looking at your AMH, FSH, and E2 levels.
- Ovulation: Ovulation happens when your body releases an egg- the first step to getting pregnant! We calculate when this happens by looking at your LH and PR levels.
- PCOS: Up to 26% of women have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), a condition that leads to higher-than-normal amounts of male hormones, and makes it harder to get pregnant. To check for this, we look at your testosterone and AMH levels.
“Another added benefit of spotting and treating conditions like PCOS early on is that it can prevent further complications. These include diabetes, blood pressure abnormalities, and even life-threatening conditions like heart disease and cancer,” says Dr. Olarik. In this way, hormone testing may be seen as an important part of preventative healthcare.
Although hormone testing won’t tell you whether you can get pregnant, it’s a starting point for making more informed decisions about whether you need to seek additional advice or begin treatment.
“The purpose of hormone tests is not just to say whether or not you can have a baby. Their purpose is more to help identify factors that might be holding you back from getting pregnant now or later down the road, and then map out how to overcome them,” says Peter Macquiart Moulin, co-founder of yesmom. “Rather than putting a full stop on your fertility, hormone tests build the foundations for a solution.”
While testing for these hormones can cost up to THB 20,000 in Thai clinics and hospitals, at Yesmom, we charge just THB 4,300. We also tell you which tests you need to take, deliver our home testing kit to your address, and send you your personalized fertility report straight to your online dashboard within just a few days.
Whether you want to get pregnant- or are just curious about your fertility- we can guide you through your hormones, so you know not only where you are but how to get you where you want to be.
How Does It Work?